Legal Resources

The Law Office of Dan Beirute recommend the following resources for legal information regarding non-profit and tax-exempt organizations:


For access to United States laws of interest to non-profit organizations:

  • Go to
  • Scroll down to “Find US Code Materials by Title and Section”
  • In the “Title:” box, type in “26” for access to the Internal Revenue Code. Then type in the specific code section you are interested in.

Section 501(c)(3) is, of course, the most well-know federal law for tax-exempt organizations. Other sections of interest include Section 170, which deals with the deductibility of donations, and Section 511 through 514, which deal with the tax on unrelated business income (UBIT).


Regulations are rules promulgated by federal agencies to enforce statutes.

Regulations of interest to tax-exempt organizations include:

  • 1.501(c)(3)-1 (regarding maintenance of exempt status)
  • 1.501(h)-1 to 1.501(h)-3 (regarding rules regulating political activity by non-profit organizations)
  • 1.513 and 1.514 (regarding unrelated business activity and the tax on unrelated business income)
  • 53.4958-0 to 53.4958-7 (regarding “private inurement”, compensation committees, and establishing compensation)


To discuss commercial building or remodeling project for your business, contact Charlie Daniels at:


If you are looking for a qualified CPA to assist you organization with accounting, filing IRS Form 990, or payroll, contact:

  • Terry Mosley, at Terry E. Mosley, CPA, Inc.: 800-829-6063
  • Mark Helland, at Glenn Elliott & Associates, Inc., 918-627-2286